Director of Recreation
Responsible for the overall design and daily management operations of The Resort at Paws Up Recreation departments, which include the Wilderness Outpost, on-ranch outfitting including fly-fishing and sporting clays, equestrian and spa. Daily management of upwards of 24 staff with varying job descriptions all focusing on excelling in customer service with the resort guided recreational programming.
Essential Job Functions
- Creative development of the overall Recreation programming for resort guests, including design and scripting of all tours, rides, floats, rentals, and experiences.
- Coordinate activities with other departments such as marketing (brochures, web-site), food & beverage (trail lunches & dinners, snacks, beverages), and rooms division (reservations bookings, availability, credit checks, guest information) as needed.
- Secure and maintain all necessary equipment as well as support gear needed to operate the department, including all vehicles, and maintain accurate service records
- Develop written operational procedures for all activities, safety talks.
- Implement an Operating Budget for the Wilderness outpost, Equestrian programming, On-ranch outfitting operations and assist with spa budgeting with a goal of maximum efficiency and in accordance with resort standards.
- Hire and train supporting staff and supervisors for all Wilderness Outpost positions, on-ranch outfitting positions and assist with hiring for all equestrian program positions to Paws Up standards.
- Responsible for weekly scheduling of staff in the Wilderness Outpost and management of employee hours to business volumes (includes managing overtime).
- Develop annually the Resort Activity menu and one-sheet for distribution to resort guests via email, website, and print methods.
- Develop and implement safety procedures, including minimum age requirements, and specific use guidelines for all activities.
- Provide guests with a supreme Paws Up experience by focusing on exceptional guest service standards
- Prepare financial reports following resort standards and guidelines.
- Work closely with the Transportation Department to develop a Guest Transportation program for Activities Department in relation to shuttles and transfers of guests to and from activities
- Work closely with Group Sales to develop specific activities relating to the needs of various group businesses
- Work closely with Human Resources to ensure proper employee and payroll processing.
- Responsible for development and implementation of a Children’s Activity Program for ages 5 – 12.
- Insure that we operate within guidelines set by our Insurance carrier.
- Flexibility in scheduling
- Attend all weekly meetings to include steering committee, manager’s meetings, daily Stand-up meetings and others as requested.
- Train other departments’ staff (e.g. bellstaff, concierge, reservations) on all activity offerings.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of the resort property management system- Maestro and train new hires on this system
- Other duties and activities as required by the needs of the business
Educational Requirements: College Degree in Recreation, Resort Management, or related field of study or minimum of three years of recreation management ideally in a resort setting
Licensure/Permits Required: Valid Driver’s License, certified in CPR, and basic first aid or higher level of medical training
Competent in many aspects of Outdoor Recreational activities
Excellent Customer relations skills
Excellent communication skills
Excellent organizational skills
Knowledge of Computer Hardware or Software: Extensive computer knowledge and keyboard skills. Demonstrated proficiency specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet. Prior experience with Property Management systems.
Previous Experience Required: Three years minimum of demonstrated experience with managing competing priorities complex staff assignments ideally in a resort setting
Working Conditions: This position will be performed both in an indoor and outdoor setting.